Club History

On October 1917 the Andersons Bay Bowling and Croquet Club Limited was registered as a limited liability company. At the companies first annual meeting it was resolved that the club's pavilion be  erected at a cost of £417.00 with completion date of 10 October 1917 and in November, the directors accepted a tender price of £270.00 for the construction of the green on the condition that it be completed by 31 January 1918.

All was ready by the 26 October 1918 when the club held its first opening day and President Mr Thomas Somerville declared the green open. His sister Miss Bettie Somerville rolled the first bowl.

The Otago Witness and Daily Times reported that the green was opened under the most favorable conditions in the presence of a large concourse of members of the club and visitors desirous of doing honor to the occasion.

"The grass appears to have come away, but the growth looks of a course order, and inclined to be rank."

The club was managed as a limited liability company until September 1961 when, after years of frustration and procrastination, the company was finally wound up and the club was reconstituted as an incorporated society.

The current vibrapac block building which comprises the lounge, bar, toilets and umpires room was constructed in front of the old pavilion in 1974 and 1977 saw the construction of new soil and implement shed on the Elliot Street end of the premises.  In 1979 the old pavilion was demolished and the current hall constructed. These buildings remain in place today.

The above information was obtained from the the clubs 75th Jubilee History document. You can view the full document here.

 
 Contact Webmaster Murray Seccombe 03 456 1088 for updates to this site.